UndecidedExploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center
What you will learn
Undecided majors have the opportunity to explore more than 150 UNL majors and 200 minors/emphasis areas.
- advisers in the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center ,in collaboration with professionals in career services, guide you in the academic, self, and career exploration processes
- we encourage you to use your elective hours early to learn more about your academic areas of interest and develop your academic abilities through exploratory and general education course work
- advisers engage you in the development of critical thinking and decision-making skill sets needed to select a major
- you'll learn how to connect with academic and student support centers through your personalized student success network that is easily identified to in MyPLAN (a function of the online blackboard portal)
In addition to exploring academic areas of study with your academic adviser in the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center, you'll be connected to an abundance of career and major exploration resources provided by career services.
- use in-depth career assessments to learn more about your interests, skills, and values
- career counselors help you connect what you learn about yourself to majors and careers
- the "Career Guide to UNL Undergraduate Majors" published by career services has information on jobs, education and internships of recent UNL graduates in specific majors, and allows you to see how their academic interests may connect to future careers
- the Guided Professional Shadowing Program allows you the unique opportunity to shadow professionals in the Lincoln community as a part of career exploration
The NEBRASKA difference
Approximately 70% of students nationwide change their major during college at least once.
We are dedicated to serving students who are undecided on a major and have a dynamic Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center staffed with advisers who are committed to helping you engage in major exploration and the declaration processes.
- undecided students are assigned to a one-on-one advising relationship with an academic adviser who can discuss degree requirements for any major UNL has to offer
- UNL's shared Achievement-Centered Education program allows you to select general education courses that will easily transfer from one major to another across all colleges, allowing you, the undecided student, to take a variety of courses of interest that will keep you on track for a 4-year graduation plan no matter which UNL college and major you choose