Nebraska Emerging Leaders Scholarship
The NEBRASKA Emerging Leaders Scholarship is awarded to academically capable first-year college students identified as emerging leaders in the Nebraska community who have demonstrated interest, knowledge, and/or experience with leadership and diversity.
All Emerging Leader scholars will be enrolled in a weekly zero-credit course that meets Fridays from 2:30-3:30 pm during the fall semester. Each week the class will spotlight campus leaders, including faculty, staff, and current students, to explore diversity and leadership skills, resources, and opportunities. In addition, students will have access to staff to support their individual success, through academic coaching, financial aid counseling, and peer mentoring.
How to Apply
- Apply for admission by March 1.
- Students who are nominated or attend one of these events will be considered: Diversity Leadership Symposia, DREAM Big Academy, First Generation Symposia, Native College Days, and/or NEBRASKA Achievement Banquet.
- Students must meet academic requirements as determined by a scholarship committee.
- Complete the ACT/SAT on or before the February national test date and submit scores to NEBRASKA.
- Complete the FAFSA by February 1 of your senior year in high school. While financial need is not a requirement, students should complete the FAFSA to finalize the award.
- Submit your Enrollment Deposit in MyRED by May 1.
Must be a Nebraska resident.
Selection is based on attendance at one of the University’s diversity programs, student’s academic profile, and demonstrated interest, knowledge, and/or experience with leadership and diversity.
The NEBRASKA Emerging Leaders Scholarship is renewable for an additional three academic years provided renewal criteria is met. Students must maintain a 2.500 cumulative GPA and complete 24 credit hours each academic year. Emerging Leader Scholars participate in a campus retention program and may be required to meet regularly with a campus mentor. Recipients will receive full eligibility and renewal policies and expectations when offered the scholarship.
The Emerging Leaders program for first-year students is designed to:
- Support each student’s transition to the University of Nebraska–Lincoln
- Connect students to campus leaders and networks, and
- Hone each student’s leadership and diversity skills.
Emerging Leader Scholars enroll in a weekly zero-credit course that meets Fridays from 2:30-3:30 p.m. during the fall semester. Each week, the class will highlight campus leaders, including faculty, staff, and current students, to explore leadership and diversity skills, resources, and opportunities. In addition, students will have access to staff to support their individual success, through academic coaching, financial aid advising, and peer mentoring.