Next Chapter at Nebraska
Get a Jump Start on Preparing for College as You Enroll in Nebraska 4-H
Being Successful in College Starts with Preparation Now
Next Chapter at Nebraska is a college-readiness program delivered through the Nebraska 4-H program that helps students prepare for and succeed in college by providing the skills students need to reach their academic goals.
The Next Chapter at Nebraska program:
- Inspires youth to choose to continue their education after high school.
- Promotes awareness of higher education options.
- Develops college and career readiness skills.
- Helps students pair their interests with career choices.
- Encourages students to explore careers.
- Develops important life skills, including social skills, stress management, self-discipline, self-motivation, and responsibility.
- Is offered to students beginning in 8th grade.
- Requires enrollment in the 4-H program.
The Next Chapter at Nebraska program is a partnership between Nebraska Extension, 4-H and the University of Nebraska–Lincoln Office of Admissions.
Throughout high school, Next Chapter scholars will engage in events, activities and curriculum where they will participate in career exploration, develop research skills, and experience a variety of learning methods that will help them transition to and succeed in college.
Scholars who participate in Next Chapter at Nebraska will:
- Be invited to a celebratory event at Nebraska with their families in the spring of their 8th grade year.
- Be pre-admitted to Nebraska upon enrollment in the program starting in 8th grade.
- Participate in college preparatory activities and curriculum throughout high school.
- Be prepared for a successful transition to college.
What You'll Do in Next Chapter
- Identify career and academic goals
- Meet with professionals in career areas
- Job shadow opportunities
- Best practices for completing college applications and essays
- Develop portfolio to effectively communicate accomplishments
- Complete college visits
- Reading and note-taking
- College research skills
- Effective communication and public speaking
- Study and time-management
- Best practices for self-motivation
- Explore job application process, resume writing and interview skills