Financial Aid

Financial Aid

A student sitting at an office desk talking to a financial aid counselor

Beyond scholarships, need-based financial aid from the government and other sources can enable affordability and help make your goals a reality. Most Huskers receive at least one of the three types of need-based aid below after filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Form.


Grants are free money to help you earn your degree with no repayment required. Most grants (federal, state and institutional) are based on financial need, which is determined by your FAFSA Form.

Learn More About Grants

Nebraska Promise

The Nebraska Promise program covers in-state undergraduate tuition at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln for up to 30 credits per year. With the Nebraska Promise, in-state students who meet academic qualifications and have a family income of $65,000 or less (Adjusted Gross Income/AGI) or are Pell Grant-eligible can attend tuition-free.

Learn More About the
Nebraska Promise


You can borrow a federal loan to help pay for your education. Federal loans often do not require repayment until after you graduate and offer reasonable interest rates. Loans must be repaid with interest.

Learn More About Loans


The Federal Work-Study program provides work experience through part-time jobs for students who have financial need and desire to earn a part of their educational expenses. Jobs average 10-20 hours per week and may be on- or off-campus.

Learn More About Work-Study
A group of students sitting in the dining hall eating hamburgers

File the FAFSA Form

Get Help Paying for School

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Form is your key to need-based financial aid consideration, like scholarships, grants, work-study, and loans. It's money from the government to help you afford college.

File the FAFSA Form as early as December of your senior year. The priority deadline to file is May 15. Financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Students who qualify for the Nebraska Promise have until June 1.

Students who submitted the FAFSA Form will be notified of their comprehensive financial aid offer via MyRED, Nebraska’s online student portal, in April. In the first half of March, the U.S. Department of Education will begin sending institutions batches of FAFSA information. Once the information is received, Nebraska is committed to quickly processing aid and notifying students and families to assist in financial planning.

Financial Aid Checklist

Create a Federal Student Aid Account and obtain your FSA ID. Your parent or guardian will also need to create an account. Creating your FSA ID before you begin the FAFSA Form only takes a few minutes and could prevent processing delays. When you create your FSA ID, enter your name and Social Security number exactly as they appear on your Social Security card.

File the FAFSA Form as early as December to determine what financial assistance you qualify for.

Monitor your MyRED account and submit any additional requested documents to avoid delays.

Review your financial aid offer in MyRED; we will notify you of your offer in April.

Accept or decline your aid awards in MyRED to secure your financial aid.

Husker Hub

Student Services Center

Husker Hub is Nebraska’s “one stop” for you to get assistance with the FAFSA Form, scholarships, grants, loans and more. Our Husker Hub full-time student services specialists are available remotely Monday-Friday through a Virtual Queue to help answer all of your questions about paying for college.

Move Your Future Forward

We can’t wait for you to join the Husker community—take your next step to Nebraska today.