Being successful in college starts with preparation now.
Next Chapter at Nebraska is a college- and career-readiness program delivered through the Nebraska 4-H program that helps students prepare for and succeed in college by providing the skills students need to reach their academic goals.
The Next Chapter program:
- Inspires youth to choose to continue their education and create a plan for after high school.
- Increases college access by providing post-secondary education options and knowledge.
- Develops college and career readiness skills.
- Teaches students about service learning and contributing to their community.
- Encourages students to explore careers and find careers they are passionate about.
- Builds important life skills, including social skills, stress management, self-discipline, self-motivation and responsibility.
- Supports students through all four years of their high school career.
The Next Chapter at Nebraska program is a partnership between Nebraska Extension, 4-H and the University of Nebraska–Lincoln Office of Admissions.
- Identify career and academic goals.
- Develop your own resume and improve interview skills.
- Practice professionalism and professional communication.
- Research post-secondary institutions and their admission requirements.
- Learn best practices for completing college applications and essays.
- Learn about scholarships and financial aid.
Academic Skill Strategies
- Learn the importance of time management and study skills.
- Identify cycles of procrastination and learn how to be self-motivated.
- Practice effective communication and public speaking.
Wellness and Community Engagement
- Develop and support a service-learning project.
- Identify personal values and learn stress management techniques.
- Identify diversity, equity and inclusion strategies to support your community.
Throughout high school, Next Chapter scholars will engage in events, activities and curriculum where they will participate in career exploration, develop research skills, and experience a variety of learning methods that will help them transition to and succeed in college.
Scholars who participate in Next Chapter at Nebraska will:
- Participate in college and career preparatory activities and curriculum throughout high school.
- Be prepared for a successful transition to college.
- Understand college admission requirements and application steps.
- Develop their own resume and feel confident within interview experiences.
- Learn ways to engage and support their community.
Register for Next Chapter
Visit the 4-H on-line registration system and sign up to be a part of the Next Chapter program. Please enroll in the Next Chapter 4-H club for your county.
- Get detailed instructions about 4-H Enrollment
- Find information about Next Chapter support for your area
For questions regarding Next Chapter, please contact Melissa Westbrook at email@example.com.